Rock or Sand

In today’s reading, it is easy to think only of the foundation you are building your own life on. In times of reflection, we may sit back and think about whether we’ve stayed solidly on rock or perhaps moved ever-so-slightly towards the sand. Did the actions of yesterday, last week, or last month create a crevice for more trouble to find its way in and erode what we’ve been working for? It’s only natural that we spend a good deal of time worried about ourselves.

However, are you someone else’s rock or someone else's sand? It’s a question I find myself thinking about more and more as I get older. I have two children, an eight-year old boy and a five-year old girl. Never am I more aware that my actions impact others as when I spend time with them. I’ll see Ivy’s temper flare up and be reminded of how the traffic that morning caused a few angry words. Eli will complain about a referee’s call at a soccer game and I’ll recall how I questioned an umpire’s call in the Cubs game a few weeks back. How are these actions forming their foundation and what can I do to make sure they edge closer to the rocks and not towards the sand?

One of the joys in my life is coaching youth sports. I enjoyed my time playing baseball and a few other sports growing up. Now I find myself just as passionate about helping young athletes become better. Not just better baseball or football players, but better people. I make sure they feel like an important part of the team and that they know their coach believes they can do anything. I want to steer them away from the sand and toward the rock, even though it may only be the slightest of nudges. It’s been amazing to watch them build their foundations and I feel mine is even stronger from being a part of their journey.

God has given us the blueprint for a strong foundation. We must choose to follow it. Just know that others may be depending on you to lead them down the path towards the rock and away from the sand. Along the way, you may find that their journey has made your own foundation even stronger.

Author: Jesse McKneely, Chief Technology Officer

Comments

Popular Posts