The Gift of Peace is waiting

Brothers and sisters:
Since we have been justified by faith,
we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
through whom we have gained access by faith
to this grace in which we stand,
and we boast in hope of the glory of God.


The following verses from Romans 5 capture the virtue of peace and how we as believers in Christ possess peace, not due to any human merit or achievement but due to the ultimate sacrifice of Christ’s death and resurrection. In our hypercompetitive culture of titles, salaries, awards, and personal glory, we may find ourselves believing that genuine peace is a product of productivity, of winning, of exceling at any cost; such peace is hollow and futile, completely devoid of meaning and substance. Biblical peace is a gift from God.

We may find our minds wandering into the deceptive trap that peace can only stem from achievement: I’ll experience peace once I’m married. I’ll experience peace once I’m earning more. I’ll experience peace once my circumstances change. The problem with these misconceptions is that peace is treated as temporary, and, moreover, peace is treated as a secular achievement we earn, not a divine gift we receive. Paul’s words remind us that genuine peace has absolutely nothing to do with what we’ve accomplished and everything to do with what Christ has done for us through the cross. So, in this life, while we’re on this side of heaven, what is it that you and I can do to cultivate a heart of peace and accept this gift of peace? How can we become peacemakers and develop a servant’s heart?

I believe that you and I can take five minutes a day to find a quiet place at work, at home, or even outdoors. During these five precious minutes, we can simply listen for God’s voice and speak to Him. What should we say to Him? We can start by expressing our gratitude for our health and well-being. We can then thank Him for granting us the most genuine, eternal identity: being the son or daughter of a King. We can then spend a few minutes reflecting on that in our lives which may rob us of peace, whether it’s a conversation that left you frustrated, a relationship that’s on the rocks, or the frantic, unforgiving pace of your daily schedule. Reflect on these very things and present them to God, one by one, articulating each burden aloud to our Redeemer.

Towards the end of this time, I suggest carefully praying the litany of humility aloud to yourself. With each line in this prayer, I’m reminded that my life is not and should not be about me. It must be focused on who Jesus is, what He has done and continues to do, and how I can best serve and love those around me. The litany of humility helps me to experience the beauty of peace and encourages me to embrace peace as a way of being, a lasting gift sent from the Creator, not a fleeting feeling.

We can set aside five minutes a day for the One who gave everything for us, right? I know we can. If we approach this time with an open and receptive heart, not only do I believe we can deepen our relationship with Christ, but we can take active, tangible steps in becoming the peacemakers our friends long for, the peacemakers our families deserve, and the peacemakers our world so desperately needs. Become a peacemaker. The gift of peace is waiting for you. Are you willing to accept it?

Author: Brian Goll, English Department

Comments

Popular Posts