A companion on the journey

Notre Dame Dance - December 2017
Will Roberts '19
What strikes me in today's readings is the omnibenevolent presence of the Lord, a characteristic that took me a while to grasp. As a child, I viewed God as the divine Santa Claus in the sky. In fact, near the beginning of second grade, I wrote a three-page letter to God, begging him to allow my mom to get the promotion she had been working hard for her whole life. This opportunity would have provided her with more time to take care of us instead of constantly being at her job. Filled with enthusiasm, my mom gave me a stamp for the letter and placed it in the mailbox. As the days went by without hearing a response, my faith in God waned more and more. How could a gracious and merciful being allow for my family to struggle and not do anything about it?

As I reflect back on my thought process, I realize now how dangerous this sentiment can be. It is as if I determine God’s faithfulness in the number of “wishes” that he grants me. However, to tie God’s faithfulness to things that he never promised us is erroneous. God does not grant what we want. Rather, he provides us with the tools that we need to overcome challenging situations: “I am the LORD, your God, who grasp your right hand; It is I who say to you, Fear not I will help you” (Isaiah 41: 13). It is important to realize that God is always on the journey with us, even when we may be suffering through times of desolation.

Author: Dennis Kamara, Alumni Service Corps

Comments

Popular Posts