Even today's moms need a "Do not be afraid"

Mother-Son Brunch
February 2017
The Gospel reading for today is Luke 1:26-28. It is a familiar story. The Angel Gabriel visits Mary and informs her of her miraculous pregnancy and coming son. Mary is understandably “greatly troubled” and she is explicitly told “Do not be afraid.”

Honestly, we do not think about our mothers
all that often. When I remember back to my teenage years my mother is but a bit player in my personal drama occasionally appearing on my stage usually with a dire warning or a nagging complaint. Now that I am a mom of teenagers I realize it is, indeed, my job to fade away into the wings. It is also my responsibility to stow away any sadness or resentment that I may feel bubbling up regarding the unavoidable changes in my maternal role.

These changes are normal. These changes are natural. These changes are inevitable.
Yet, I would like to spend a few moments thinking about Mary and our moms:

  • She is told she is pregnant: she is scared. Will he be healthy? Can I keep him healthy? Can I keep him safe? What will he be like? Can I be a good mom?... “Do not be afraid”
  • She is about to give birth: How will I endure this pain? Who is going to tell me how to take care of an infant? Whose idea was this anyway? Can I be a good mom?... “Do not be afraid”
  • She has a beautiful boy who is facing his first day at school: How do I just leave him there all by himself? What if the other kids are mean to him? What if he is mean to the other kids? Have I been a decent enough mom?... “Do not be afraid”
  • She has a son that is leaving her to enter the world as a man: She drives away from dropping him off for his first day at Jesuit. She hands him the car keys and watches as he drives away alone for the first time. She watches him as he reads (again) his college acceptance letter. She watches him on stage as he receives his Jesuit diploma. How did this all happen so fast?... “Do not be afraid”
Please realize a mom lives a significant portion of her life being afraid.

Please realize a mom struggling to remember that “nothing will be impossible for God.”

I am not telling you this to make you feel guilty. I am telling you this because as miraculous as Jesus’ birth was for all of us; your birth is also a very real miracle to someone.

Maybe take a minute today to tell her not to be afraid.

Author: Dea Ochs, Social Studies Department Chair

Comments

  1. "Be not afraid, for I am with you always. Come. Follow me and I will give you rest." - one of my favorite Catholic songs. It is comforting to me. Thank you, Dea.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts