Finding God in All Things

“I have been with you wherever you went.”

These are the words God is relaying to King David in today’s Gospel reading. Words that remind King David that God has always been present in his life - when he was a shepherd taking care of his flock, when he was chosen to be the King, when he was fighting his enemies during battle. Today’s reading is a gentle reminder that God Is always with us - something that we can take for granted in our daily lives. We so often don’t take the time to reflect on when we do see God with us.

After reading the Gospel passage I took some time to reflect over the past year... to reflect over all of the times I recognized God in the daily life of my family. There are some instances where it’s easy to see God present in our lives - those big instances where you know in your heart that God was with you.
  • Back in February, our son Christopher was hit by a drunk driver during Mardi Gras in New Orleans. God was with him. 
  • Almost a month ago, I was in a car accident on Inwood Road and Willow. God was with me. 
  • Five days later, my daughter and I were in a much more serious car accident, an accident that totaled my big Suburban as well as the other driver's Mini Cooper. God was with us.
There are many day-to-day instances I take for granted. God is with me.
  • My husband is helping his aging father, and God is with him. 
  • On Sundays, my kids wake up and go to mass on their own without any nudging from me. God is with them. 
  • My boys treat their girlfriends with love and respect. God is with them. 
  • My daughter runs into the middle of a four lane busy street to help a driver get out of her smoking car. God was with her. 
  • All of my boys came home safely and we are able to celebrate Christmas with our whole family. God is with us. 
  • Alaskan Immersion Trip
    Summer 2017
  • I am healing after my accidents. God is with me.
As I am sitting here writing this blog, God is with me.
God was, is, and always will be present in our lives.

On the last day of Advent, will you take time out of the hectic holiday season to reflect on today’s gospel message with your family?

My family and I are going to a Christmas Eve mass and then coming home for a family dinner. Probably similar to many other’s family traditions. As the Advent season ends and the Christmas season is upon us, how will your family reflect on God’s words to King David:

“I have been with you wherever you went.”

Author: Maureen Miramontes, Admissions Officer

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts