Finding yourself among the saints

Our Lady of Angels Cathedral
 
St. Josephine Bakhita
While reflecting over this Gospel, what initially came to mind were the different opinions, studies, and thoughts I have read and studied about the various strategies to most effectively teach science. It at times appears to have gotten to a point where strategies are being recycled because there never seems to be a consensus agreement reached. Just like the various generations who witnessed the prophets of the Old Testament, to those who witnessed John the Baptist, and finally Christ Himself, no one was ever satisfied with what they had to offer. I had this same experience after reading all sorts of journals and articles about effectively teaching Physics until I began to sit down and just reflect on what I had read. What came to mind was--if I’m trying to help my students be the best “physicist” they can be at this point in their lives, why not look to the physicists of the past to help them get there?

St. Andrew Kim Taegon
As this approach began to permeate in my teaching, it began to dawn on me that just as someone who wants to be a physicist learns from past physicists, if one wishes to be a saint, they need to learn from the saints. No matter who we are, we all are called to sainthood, to be willing to accept God’s grace, lead a holy life as best we can, and be with God in heaven one day. I began to recognize that I had no idea what it took to be a saint; I was simply just going through the motions of my Catholic faith. All I really knew were the names of the famous saints. But it was about this time that I had a chance to read St. Ignatius’s autobiography and his faith journey where he began to learn about Jesus Christ and the lives of the saints who ultimately strived to model themselves after Jesus.

St. Augustine

Trying to be like Christ each and every day is a very difficult task for me and tough expectation to meet. But when I began to learn about the lives of the saints and who they were, that task, although still difficult, slowly began to be less daunting. I began to see that there were saints from all walks of life and from all places who struggled with all sorts of obstacles and sins. As I studied the saints, I saw that there is a least one saint for everyone and anyone to relate to and look up to on their way to be more like Christ. You may be someone like St. Augustine who struggled to overcome personal evils to get closer Christ, or like St. Josephine Bakhita and St. Andrew Kim Taegon who both had to overcome the evils done to them by others to be closer Christ. Or perhaps you struggled with temper and lack of patience like St. Jerome, or you are a joyful and loving person like St.Therese of Lisieux. Regardless of who we are, there most likely is a saint with whom you can connect and who can help you move closer towards Christ, particularly in this Advent season. Do you know who that saint (or saints) is for you? If not and if you have some time this Advent season, give it try. I believe you will find it to be fruitful for you.

Author: Dominic Golab, Science Department, Campus Ministry Team, Football coach

*Images provided by Catholic.org





Comments

Popular Posts