Lord, I am listening

Student Reflection Summer '17
Managua, Nicaragua
Listening. I am afraid to listen. Now, when I say I am afraid, I do not mean I have some sort of audiophobia. The act of listening itself does not worry me, what worries me is the necessity to trust those that I listen to. When I listen to others it is because I am searching for guidance in my life. In an age of mass media, there are plenty of people to listen to: politicians, news anchors, religious leaders, philosophers and professors. Although I recognize the blessings of having options, I still find myself asking the same questions, “Which principles do I believe, which values do I turn to when I am lost? Which beliefs are true and which beliefs are false? Whose words do I trust?” As I read today’s scripture, I believe the answer is in today’s First Reading.

In the first reading Isaiah says “No longer will your teacher hide himself, but with your own eyes you“This is the way; walk in it”. ‘This is the way; walk in it’, this phrase serves as a reminder that despite all the clutter of media and the cacophonous sound of a million opinions, God is the one I should always turn towards for wisdom and understanding. Yet, I can’t help but feel a sense of doubt creep in my mind saying, “You can’t be so naïve to actually put your trust in something/someone you cannot see? You would rather trust a voice in the sky for guidance than actual people?” After reflecting on those questions I realized that the answer is quite simple. Why should I listen to God? Because listening to God works.

In today’s Gospel, Christ asks his apostles to be laborers of His Father’s harvest. He commands the apostles to go out and drive out demons, cure lepers, raise the dead and cure the sick all while proclaiming that the kingdom of God is at hand. When I read this passage, I see Christ asking the apostles to trust in His saving grace, and if they trust and listen to His word, they will possess the capability to perform such miracles. It is this trust that allowed the apostles to perform miracles, it is this trust that inspired martyrdom for Christ, it is this trust that empowered the saints, and it is this trust that has carried the Church for 2000 years. Thus, as we continue through this advent season, let us prepare our hearts to trust God unconditionally, so that we too may be laborers of His abundant harvest. Let us pray that we may drown out the noise of the material world and turn our ears towards the Father so that we may walk in His path and join Him in paradise.
shall see your teacher…..a voice shall sound in your ears

Author: Joseph Harwerth, Alumni Service Corps



Comments

Popular Posts