My rock of refuge, my fortress in a storm

In the book of Acts, Stephen while faced with one of the many storms of life responds gracefully with a simple request, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” The simple request is a reminder to me to smile amongst the storms one encounters in life. Recently, I have been faced with a number of health challenges that have helped me to identify with Stephen’s call to Jesus. Calling on Jesus to commend my or be entrusted with my spirit provides a refreshing perspective on the challenges that I have faced. A storm can be used as an analogy for health challenges because of their unpredictable nature, there may be a precursor to the storm or not, the duration and severity of the storm are often unknown. When faced with a health challenge one has no control over one can choose one of two responses: vulnerability and faith or anger and resentment. I've found that vulnerability and faith is the optimal option for me seeking Jesus to:

Be my rock of refuge,
a stronghold to give me safety.

The use of the illustration of a rock of refuge is interesting because of the rock formation process.
The cave where Ignatius was said to compose the Exercises
surrounded by rock in Manresa, Spain
Rocks are formed under high temperatures and pressures. However, rocks over time are able to smooth out jagged edges through weathering. Requesting that Jesus be my rock of refuge is asking Him to withstand the heat of life when temperatures are too high and to take the pressure when in my own strength I would surely crumble. Additionally, weathering the storm can be seen as refinement of our human ways to seek to be more like Christ. The Word of God reminds us:

You are my rock and my fortress;
for your name's sake you will lead and guide me.

A fortress is not subject to outside influence or disturbance. So not only is the Lord Jesus a rock of refuge withstanding the heat and pressure of life while reminding us to seek to be more like Christ. He also is a fortress. Imagine this fortress as an impenetrable castle made of stone. Within this impenetrable castle He is able to guide and lead one to the peaceful eye of the storm providing a reminder that one is not alone when they are present with Christ.

I will rejoice and be glad because of your mercy.

Author: Michelle Smith, Science Department

Comments

  1. Thank you, Michelle! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year. We miss you :-( and can't wait to have you back on campus.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts