The journey from knowledge to understanding

In the midst of December Assessments, it is easy to acknowledge the role that understanding has in our school setting. We recognize that there is a difference between knowing something to be true and understanding why something is true. The goal is understanding, but knowledge is a tool we use to get there. Ultimately, we hope that through teaching and shared experiences, our students can achieve and demonstrate this higher level of comprehension.

This passage in Matthew reminds us that true understanding comes from Jesus’ teaching. As the apostles are coming down from the mountain, they engage in a conversation with Jesus. In this, Jesus helps the disciples move from knowledge to understanding by contextualizing Old Testament prophecies and applying them to experiences on the Mount of Transfiguration and with John the Baptist. By weaving these concepts together, Jesus creates the space for the disciples to process their experience and build upon their knowledge. The disciples simply had to listen to and rely on Jesus.

Junior Cross Mass - Junior Class Retreat
At a time when access to information is at our fingertips, we do not often lack knowledge. If we do, we have the tools to quickly gain it. However, it seems understanding is more difficult to come by. The process of understanding takes time, patience, and commitment. In order to personally engage in this process, I must consciously set aside time, practice patience, and commit myself to the Lord. This is easier said than done. Time, it seems, is fleeting. The days are short and the lists are long. However, I am reminded that in order to learn from Jesus’ teaching, I must first make time for Him. During my time with Him, I must remember that understanding is not immediate. I must be patient with myself and with the process. Finally, I am reminded that when I am confused or distracted, I must apply myself to Christ and turn to His teaching. Only through His teaching can I be led to understanding and truth.

As the semester comes to a close, I pray that understanding is not only sought after in academic courses, but a deeper spiritual understanding is also pursued. I pray that we all may find time, patience, and commitment to learn from Jesus’ teaching.

Author: Sara Krusekopf, Mathematics Department, Campus Ministry Team

Comments

Popular Posts