Walking in the Light of Faith

This holiday season has been a time of personal challenge for me, challenge to walk alongside others and experience their trials in a spirit of solidarity. As I have journeyed with friends and agency contacts in their time of loss, or circumstances of economic injustice, or sickness, I have encountered a strange juxtaposition: The light of God's love and mercy showing through with continual promise. I have found peace in times of distress and reassurance of consolation when I felt alone or without the necessary resources or appropriate advice to impart to others.

The readings today call us to walk in the light of faith, placing our trust in the promise of God's constant love and friendship. I am struck in particular by the story of the Magi who had just departed in the Gospel reading. As a child, their arrival to visit the newborn king enchanted me. Who were these wise men? Where were they from? What was their experience of a call to journey to a faraway land and be in the presence of the divine like? And for me now, in the present? Am I willing to accompany others in their journey to love and acceptance? Do I have the capacity to embark upon this journey with a strong commitment to solidarity and compassion? These are questions that I have considered for many years, from my youth in Massachusetts to my life as a social justice educator and mentor in Dallas.

In reflecting today, I have prayerfully considered what gifts I have experienced during the moments of greatest trial in the last two months. It has not always been the gifts that I had to offer, but more often the gifts that I have witnessed being bestowed upon others by my students. Last month we lost a man who I considered to be a member of my family. David Young, my neighbor and friend, passed away at the age of 88. He had been living alone without contact with family and friends for many years. I had the immense privilege of knowing and loving my neighbor over the course of the last 16 years. I gathered much wisdom and a stronger sense of faith as I became his student; I watched carefully as my teacher and mentor overcame the challenges of living alone and with various handicaps and health impairments. 

During his last two months of life, he resided at one of our agencies near Fair Park. Our seniors visited him and brought gifts every Wednesday. Oftentimes, it was the gift of their presence. Sometimes it was the gift of their companion dogs. Upon other occasions, it was snacks and cookies that they baked with their parents. As David entered into new eternal life with our Lord, my students were the Magi. They may have only journeyed 20 minutes away just east of downtown Dallas, but their hearts traversed the seemingly distant terrain of the soul as they brought gifts at the appointed time. I am thankful to have experienced this profound story of truth and light during this Advent and Christmas season. Thank you, Lord, for showing me that your gifts remain with us and that we can be the Magi. That we can walk towards You in the light of faith.

Author: Rich Perry, Director of Community Service

Comments

Popular Posts