Asking and striving for more

As I reflected on today’s scriptures a thought continued to resonate within my heart: what amazing love and forgiveness we receive from God our Father. To me the idea of forgiving should be something we are able to readily do, but how often do we instead choose not to forgive and hold onto a hurt which keeps our hearts from truly loving? I do this, and I feel when I do I ought to step back and realize in this hurt - I am not being the man I am called to be. It is when we truly love we begin to truly forgive, and in doing so, we become more like we are called and created to be. 

In the reading from Ezekiel today, we hear the Lord's teaching about the beauty of turning away from our selfishness, or “evil,” if you will. It is in this very turning away from evil that God our Father forgives and loves us for who we are created to be: his beloved. “Lent offers us the occasion to gauge ourselves on the wholeness of the human person, giving us the occasion to integrate body and soul through prayer, fasting, and almsgiving" (Diadochus of Phitoke, A Hundred Chapters on Spiritual Perfection, 42). It is in this self-reflection, this gauging of ourselves that we begin to see a glimpse of the love of God and others we should be striving for.

During our Lenten journey we might ask: how am I growing in prayer? If we are unsure then it might be a good idea to begin again, and pray through scripture. We ask: how am I adhering to my Lenten fast? If we are unsure then maybe we start by fasting from something smaller: a little less TV, Netflix,  or as Pope Francis mentions: fast from worries and trust in God. Then these fasting opportunities may begin to grow into bigger fasting opportunities. We ask: where is my giving at during this Lent? Remembering alms can be many things so maybe it is in giving of our very selves that we give alms to the Lord God.

Leanne and I try to guide our kids in their Lenten journeys as well. We teach them it is essential to be open to the possibilities that love for God, and neighbor, bring about. It is in this very love we might gain many amazing opportunities, and a chance to give of self. In Matthew’s Gospel today we hear the call to forgive and love our neighbors, but more than that; we hear we are called to love and reconcile with all those we encounter.

When we truly love and forgive, we become more like the person God is guiding us to be. St. Augustine taught that the upright act rightly, and this is good, but if we truly desire to grow in a deeper communion with God and one another then we might ask for more. Augustine believed in order to grow into a deeper relationship with God the Father we should, “ask God for something better, ask God for something more: ask God for God" (St. Augustine, Confessions, 311). As I am reflecting on this; I ask God to guide my heart and lead me to love.

In the loving of others I see forgiveness in my heart and it is only then we can/will share the love and forgiveness of God with all those we encounter.

Author: Chris Knight, English Department, Campus Ministry Team Member

Comments

Popular Posts