Nor shall you stand idly by...

Today’s reading is from Leviticus 19: 1-2, 11-18 we see the Lord issuing a series of commandments on how we are to live in a godly relationship with our neighbors, our fellow man. Commandments like – “you shall not steal, you shall not exploit your neighbor, you shall love your neighbor as yourself.” And in verse 16 we read “nor shall you stand by idly when your neighbor’s life is at stake.”

During a soccer game on Friday night, February 9, 2018, Jesuit senior soccer player, Christian Lerma, suffered a near fatal heart attack. If not for the swift and professional action taken by Pearce athletic trainer, Tara Grubbs, Dr. Andrew Minigutti, Dr. Matthew Davis and R.N. Ami Gollihar, Christian would have died. They did not stand idly by. Since that day, there has been an outpouring of support for Christian and his family. Not just from the Jesuit community but from all corners of North Texas. People are not standing idly by. How encouraging to me.

Reflecting on the events of the past several days and today’s reading I am compelled to ask “Am I standing idly by?” What can I do?

Photo by: David Horton '18
In Matthew 25:35-40 we read “for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me. Naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me. Then the righteous will answer him and say, Lord when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? When did we see you ill or in prison and visit you? And the King will say to them in reply Amen, I say to you whatever you did for one of the least brothers of mine, you did for me.”

Just as in Christian Lerma’s situation, precious moments are passing by. Needs both big and small are waiting to be taken care of. Mr. Earsing always says that “the time is now.” Now is the time to act, to be part of Gods plan to help and comfort our neighbors lives. Let us not be idle in fulfilling the will of the Lord.

Love your neighbor as yourself.

Author: Charlie DeLong, Head Soccer Coach, Athletic Department

Comments

Popular Posts