The growth that comes from sin

"shamefaced" "wicked" "evil" "treachery" "rebelled"

These are the words that jumped off the page to me when I read the first reading today. I am not Catholic and I wasn't brought up in a religious household. I am, however, surrounded by Catholicism and relate to it very well. That being said, I personally always struggle with readings that use words such as these to describe sin and how we should feel when we sin. 

As I type this we are playing in the playoffs. Last night, after our game, I reviewed the film to look for mistakes the players made so that I could show them. This exercise was not to point out their mistakes but, more importantly, to show them how mistakes can be harmful to what we are trying to do and to show them the right way to do it. Though of course not trying to compare myself to the God of my players, this is more my perspective on sin.

For me, mistakes are vital. They are the key to growth, improvement, and understanding. It translates to the spiritual life. Sinning, in some way or another, is almost inevitable every day. The key to improving and getting stronger is to make mistakes so you can learn from them. I see sin as another gift to help us get where we are trying to go. For someone like me, new to the church and listening to the readings, the language in the first reading distracts me with these words "shamefaced, wicked, evil, treachery, and rebelled."  Though not trying to give people a pass to sin as they please, I do believe our growth is connected to it.

The Gospel reading changes the tune for me, however. In it, I hear the words "stop judging, stop condemning, forgive, and give" - these words line up with what I believe and what I try to teach the guys I coach.

Author: Chris Hill, Head Basketball Coach, Athletic Department

Comments

Popular Posts