Who am I?

As a member of the Alumni Service Corps, I put pressure on myself to live as an example of the profile of the graduate. I joined ASC to be an example, to live out Christ’s mission, and to inspire those around me using the Gospel. There are two ways I live out my faith; through rituals, beliefs, and wisdom (orthodoxy) and acting out Christ’s mission (orthopraxy). In today’s Gospel, Jesus proclaims “The scribes and the Pharisees have taken their seat on the chair of Moses. Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you, but do not follow their example. For they preach but they do not practice.” From my understanding, Jesus is saying that the Pharisees are preaching the correct teaching of God, but what they lack is living out their faith.

 When the moment presents itself, I try to remind the students what the purpose of their education is. Their purpose is to become servants of Christ, who are men for and with others, to live out the MAGIS, and to use their talents to serve, all for the glory of God. But every time I state Jesuit’s mission, I can’t help but look myself in the mirror. Have I been a man for others? Have I done as much as I can for the students, for my community, and for the marginalized? Do I plan on using my talents to serve the poor after ASC, or would I rather pursue wealth and materialism? Am I a Pharisee or am I an authentic Christian?

Today’s psalm “Cast away from you all the crimes you have committed, says the LORD, and make yourselves a new heart and a new spirit” reminds me of one of my new favorite scripture passages, Galatians 2:20 “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me”. These scripture readings remind me that if I want to avoid living like the Pharisees and be more like Christ, I must allow for the death of myself and the rebirth of Christ from within.

This Lenten season, let us pray for wisdom and understanding from the Holy Spirit. Let us discern Christ’s will in our lives, to which we will then passionately live out his mission. Let everyday be an exercise of love, because Christ is in our hearts, and we shall not hesitate to allow his radiant light to shine through us and onto this blessed community. Who am I? Why, I am a humble servant of Christ, and through that humility I will live out his mission.
 
Author: Joseph Harwerth, Alumni Service Corps


Comments

Popular Posts