How often should I forgive?

I spent the last half hour rummaging through boxes loaded with memorabilia. I couldn’t find it. I found lots of pictures. Pictures from high school and college, pictures of my nieces and nephews. Baptism pictures, diplomas. Pictures of travels with friends. I ran across old birthday cards and Christmas cards. I found graduation programs, wedding announcements and old check registers. But I still didn’t find it.

I was looking for a medal. A simple chain on which hung a small piece of metal which was stamped with “70x7”. Sister Clare Patrice gave me that medal almost fifty years ago. Sister was a nun in the parish that I grew up in. She taught first grade in the parish school and taught several of my brothers and sisters. I don’t remember why she gave the medal to me, but I remember her explaining the gospel story behind the “70x7”. I’ve had several occasions over the years when the reading found in today’s gospel and that medal have made appearances in my life. So, I’m not surprised that this particular gospel reading is associated with my assigned blog entry for today.

In today’s first scripture reading, Daniel and his companions have been thrown into the fiery furnace. Azariah, one of the companions, is looking for something in the midst of this trial. He prays for mercy. Even though these young men find themselves in a seemingly hopeless situation, Azariah calls on God to remember the promise to his people. With a “contrite heart and humble spirit,” he asks for forgiveness. In the gospel, it is Peter who is looking for something. “How often should I forgive my brother?” I wonder where Peter’s question is coming from. Was he attempting to justify his behavior based on Jesus’ answer? Was he seeking reassurance from Jesus? Whatever the reason, Jesus challenges Peter and all of us to go beyond the minimum, the ordinary. We are called to be like our Father in heaven. A Father who is always merciful and a Father who is forever forgiving.

I find myself asking what is it that I am looking for this Lenten season, and what have I found? Forgiveness and mercy seem to be rare commodities in our culture today. In my daily life, where can I find mercy and forgiveness and how can I manifest them to people I encounter?

Author: Pat Naughton, Administration


Comments

Popular Posts