I will make nations of you

In the first reading from Genesis, God speaks to Abraham and tells him what Abraham’s legacy will be: “I am making you the father of a host of nations…I will make nations of you.” When reading this, two thoughts jump out for me. First, how did Abraham feel about this call from God? Was he full of trepidation knowing what God had in store for him? Was his faith strong enough that he trusted in God and believed that God had a plan and that God, in turn, believed in him?

The second thing that came to mind when reading this passage was my own parents. My parents had nine children, and I am grateful they did for two reasons. First, since I am the youngest, I am thankful that they had nine kids. And second, my parents gave me a gift that I will always be grateful for - my brothers and sisters. They have always been so kind to me, acting as role models, mentors, and close friends. I love all of them, and I know I am the person I am today because of them. Although my extended family is not “a host of nations,” we are over one hundred when we include spouses, grandchildren, and now great-grandchildren. My parents’ legacy, like Abraham’s, is the family they created many years ago, a family that continues to grow.

In the gospel reading, the Jews questioned Jesus and his words: “Whoever keeps my word will never taste death. My father…glorifies me…and I keep his word.” Jesus truly believed in his father. As I read these words, my mother comes to my mind again - a woman whose faith was always so strong. She raised nine kids by herself after my father passed at a young age, and I believe she trusted God to help her and relied on her faith daily. In fact, when my mom was near death herself, she seemed ready and excited about the future. With her faith strong and her trust complete, she told her children that “the best is yet to come.” I only hope that my faith is strong like hers to welcome life after death.

My family, my faith, these readings - they most of all reminded me of love. There is a special blessing my family sings before meals when we are all together that sums up my reflection today:

“God is love, and he who abides in love, abides in God, and God in him.”

Author: Bob Wunderlick, English Department, Football Coach

Comments

  1. Thanks for your reflection. Family is everything and I am blessed to be apart of your family now. Thanks for these encouraging words and a reminder to cherish time with loved ones.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts