my daily bread

Source
Today’s Scripture centered around the betrayal of Judas at the Last Supper as well as Peter’s denial of Jesus three times. Despite the fact that I love to eat food, when I think about the Last Supper with Jesus and his disciples, physically eating food is the last thing that grabs my attention. Instead it is the spiritual fulfillment from the Last Supper that reminds me of a meal I need to eat daily. This message from the reading is so powerful and such a good representation of the difference between God and man for me. These readings today help give me more perspective on how amazing God is and how desperate we, like Peter and Judas, are for a loving and forgiving savior.

Interestingly enough, this passage also brings to mind for me the movie Inside Out. You know the one where your emotions co-exist with the characters themselves. As I imagine Jesus talking to the disciples, I figure that Jesus must have been full of so many different emotions himself… but above all showed the powerful emotion of unconditional love. Me, on the other hand, I am limited to my human thoughts and singular emotions kinda of like the movie. If Jesus said to the table I was at “One of you at this table will betray me,” I would suddenly lose my appetite... then curiosity would settle in… then I would start pointing fingers.... then self-doubt may creep in and the weight of my sins would overcome me. Next would definitely come anxiety. I would be anxious to know who it is that could possibly betray Jesus? Then I would think “What if it is me? Could I live with myself if I am the person who is going to betray Jesus?” Then relief after I hear Jesus say it is not me who would betray him. I would figure that I am in the clear now! After that little bit of relief, however, I would begin to badger with questions and throw hate towards Judas thinking how could he betray Jesus after all he has done for us. I would say to myself “I would never betray Jesus like that. I would lay down my life for him.” Finally, I would experience the calming emotion of peace as I realize God already knows my heart.

But what about Peter? What emotions do I experience when I imagine myself in his position. I immediately know I cannot escape the truth that comes from His lips - that I will deny Jesus three times. I feel like I would have processed my feelings exactly like Peter did because of the humanity we share.

The first reading begins with “The Lord called me from birth.” I felt the Lord reminding me through these words that my purpose was to serve Him with all my heart, my strength, my mind… and to live always for his greater glory. This was a simple reminder to me that my life is and never was intended to be my own. I need to eat up and enjoy all the spiritual blessings the Lord has for me and continue to keep building up the God’s Kingdom. I need to trust Him to help me discern in all areas of my life.

He made of me a sharp-edged sword
and concealed me in the shadow of his arm.
He made me a polished arrow,
in his quiver he hid me.
You are my servant, he said to me,
Israel, through whom I show my glory.
(Is 49: 1-6)

I am a warrior in battle - I need to make sure I am preparing for a battle everyday so I can be God’s greatest warrior in this life.

Author: Terry Grayson, Athletic Department

Comments

  1. Thank you Gretchen for helping me Convey the message I wanted to get out in a way others could actually understand my thoughts !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts