Via Dolorosa

Today’s Gospel reading is the Passion, which is commonly experienced through the Stations of the Cross. The Stations of the Cross began as a solution to the desire of individuals to journey the way of the cross - even when they could not visit the Holy Land.

At the Junior Retreat earlier this week, I gave a closing reflection that made reference to the Fifth Station, in which Simon of Cyrene helped Jesus to bear the burden of his cross, even though Simon undoubtedly had his own burdens to worry about. As I was writing the reflection for the retreat, and reading about the Stations of the Cross, I found myself reminiscing about my own experience walking through the streets of Jerusalem while on a trip to Israel/Palestine during Christmas break a few years ago. I saw a lot of really incredible things while I was there, but the day that I got to spend in Jerusalem was one of the biggest highlights of the trip. Although the “old city” of Jerusalem has been modernized in a lot of ways, the structure of the city is very much the same as it was 2000 years ago. It doesn’t take much imagination to transport back to a time without the electric lights. The occasional motor carts that barrel down the tiny crooked paths are not all that different from the donkey carts that probably did the same thing not long ago.

I have experienced the Stations of the Cross countless times in my life. But never like I did that day in Jerusalem… I actually walked the same path that Jesus took to his crucifixion. As I entered the “Christian Quarter” of the old city, I just happened to notice a sign marking Station 5 (coincidentally, the same station I reflected on during Wednesday’s retreat), and then passed several others as I made my way to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre (the church built by Constantin in 335 A.D. on the site of Jesus’ crucifixion and burial).

Before that day, I had seen countless artworks and films depicting the events of Stations of the Cross. But the Stations were never as “real” for me as they were that day that I was able to actually walk them myself. I had never experienced the emotion of the Stations the way that I did as I entered the Church (where the last four Stations are believed to have occurred). And I had never been as overcome by incredible reverence as I was when I entered the tiny Edicule built on the believed site of Jesus’ tomb.

Now anytime I hear the Passion or journey through a version of the Stations of the Cross, the images and emotions are so much more vivid in my mind. I can hear the sounds of music, laughing, and shouting. I can smell the overwhelming spices from all of the vendors in the market. And I can see the narrow, crooked roads… probably packed so tight that the soldiers would have had to push people aside just so that Jesus would have room to move forward. I am so appreciative of the short time I spent in Jerusalem, if only because it provided me with the ability to re-experience the Stations in a way that feels more authentic and palpable to me.

Although they will never do the experience justice, the following video is a collection of photos from my journey through Jerusalem. I encourage you to reflect on the Stations as you watch it. And while you may not get a sense of the smells and sounds, I hope that in the very least the photos can help you to form a clearer picture in your mind as you pray on the events of this day nearly 2000 years ago.


Author: Joe Howard, Fine Arts Department, Theatre Department

Comments

Popular Posts