Written upon my heart

I will place my law within them and write it upon their hearts. What a beautiful thought from today's first reading - a clear reminder that I have God’s law written upon my heart! And, what a daunting thought as well because I certainly don’t always live up to that. So, what does this statement mean for me?

I was having lunch with a friend the other day and we were talking about our children – their ups and downs, anxieties and depression, etc. More importantly, we were lamenting over our children who are struggling with their belief in God. We’ve spoken of this often as it has broken both our hearts. We are faithful women, not sinless, but faithful, who tried their best to raise faithful children. What went wrong? How can we "fix" this?

My friend had gone on retreat recently where, she told me, the retreat leader spoke to our question. According to the retreat leader, we cannot "fix" it by crying (done that) or trying to force our views upon them. Maybe we cannot "fix" it at all, maybe they will continue to struggle with their belief in God for their entire lives. What we can and must to do is pray for them but also, most importantly, live our faith. Isn't that what God is telling us by writing His law upon our hearts? Live our faith. Maybe instead of trying to"fix" those struggling with their faith, I should be a good example of faith for them. At least those I encounter in my everyday life. It sounds simple, but I know it isn't. I need to ask myself where and how I can do a better job of living my faith. I must try to focus on my faith and God in all situations.

And that is the daunting part. Daunting because I don't want to fail God and disappoint Him with those failures. I realize He knows that I don't always live my faith well, I stumble and fall many times. That is why, for me, it is wonderful to have Lent as a time to reflect upon my failures and try to do better next time. Maybe I won't completely fall, maybe it will be just a slip. No matter what it is, God has also given me Reconciliation as a means to get back on my path toward Him. I ask Him "Create a clean heart in me O Lord" and  He will forgive me again and again. That is a reassuring thought. 

All, from least to greatest, shall know me, says the Lord, for I will forgive their evildoing and remember their sin no more.

Author: Trisha Smith, Jesuit Dallas Staff

Comments

  1. This is an amazing post. Thank you for your honest reflection it definitely spoke to me and was a huge encouragement when I read it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts