Believing without seeing

Closed Eyes
Have you ever taken account of all the things you believe in that you cannot see? Love, honesty, friendship, and most importantly Jesus Christ. Oftentimes we feel the benefits of unseen beliefs without a tangible item to visibly see. In today's reading, Simon Peter, Mary Magdalene, and another disciple enter into the tomb after Jesus has been buried to find it empty and His burial cloths left on the ground. Jesus is not in this scene, but the remnants of His presence are there - His burial cloths. As I imagine the scene, I feel that Jesus was here and is now alive. Surely, I can tell He was here. His clothing is placed right where He once lay. All of the evidence left behind indicates that although He is no longer in the space, He is alive. He has resurrected.

The electron is the fundamental subatomic particle in Chemistry. I believe in their presence although I have never seen one. I see the evidence of their presence just as I see the evidence of the presence of Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit in my life. When I enter a room and turn on the light switch, I do not hesitate and wonder if the lights will come on. I simply believe that the movement of adjacent electrons will permit the electricity to work. As you read this reflection, you too may not be able to see electrons yet the presence of them permits the device you are reading this reflection on to function.

Faith makes us sure of what we hope for and gives us proof of what we cannot see (Hebrews 11:1). At times it is difficult to sense the presence of Jesus because we cannot see Him. The beauty is that we have been offered a savior who left us so many reminders through both His Word and His world - reminders that help us to see and feel and usher us into His presence. Anytime I am in a dark moment and struggling to sense His presence, His peace, and His love, I close my eyes, take a deep breath and say a familiar prayer or repeat a scripture which provides me with the reassurance of His everlasting love.
John goes on further to say: "Our ears have heard, our eyes have seen, and our hands have touched this Word."  The one who gives life appeared!

Author: Michelle Smith, Science Department

Comments

Popular Posts