my true self

Although the school day can be filled with teaching science classes, meeting with students, and talking with my peers, there are moments of downtime in which I find myself mindlessly scrolling through Instagram and Facebook. It seems as if perception is everything in the world of social media: the right filter and catchy status can project an idealistic image of life far better than the one I authentically experience. Even when I log off, the images of travel photos, delicious foods, and night outs are burned into the back of my brain. Then comes the inevitable torment of wondering why my life does not compare to others.

I often think about how sometimes I too put out this specific image of myself, which may be entirely different from the truth. Why? In essence, perhaps I want to try and appear to be what society values as successful (whatever that may mean). I think it’s because appearance is quite important to me. Not so much my physical appearance (though this is also important) but more about the way I carry myself, the way I interact with others. I want people to know that I am someone who is intelligent, engaging and amiable. Yet, despite the images I may project on social media, I do not always feel like this.


If Jesus had an Instagram or Facebook page, I wonder how many followers he would have or how many likes he would receive for his photos. Would we need or desire a certain number of verified checkmarks to “prove” his identity? There lies the problem: if seeing were believing, then faith would be unnecessary. It would be easy to believe in God’s existence if there was empirical evidence, if the proof was right there and trending, but that would undermine the basis of faith. After reading today’s Gospel, I reflected on the idea that even though appearances can be deceiving, true faith allows for a clearer vision of not only who I am but also who I hope to become.

Author: Dennis Kamara, Science Department

Comments

Popular Posts