Reaching out and up

The first reading today stirs up a beautiful and powerful image in my heart. I can so clearly picture God’s people of Israel feeling like worms - trampled, overlooked, and needy. By themselves, they are weak. They are desperate and reaching out, hoping for a helping, strength-giving hand to take hold and guide them towards redemption and restoration. The beauty comes when God does not forsake them. These desolate people are transformed into a powerful force with great abundance. I can picture this scene so clearly, because I have been there. I have been face down, seemingly alone, reaching my hands out and up waiting for someone to take hold. Perhaps, we all have. During tumultuous, uncertain, and lonely times in my life, I know I have reached out my hand (sometimes figuratively, sometimes very literally) hoping that someone would take it. However, when every human resource has been exhausted, God remains. He is a constant. He is always there to take my hand. There is comfort in knowing that His everlasting presence will continuously grant newness and strength.

One of my mentors once told me that whenever walking somewhere alone, she would walk with her hand slightly open. During this time, it was her prayer that she would be reminded of these words in Isaiah: “For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, ‘Fear not, I am the one who helps you.’” Since then, I have found this practice to be a beautiful and sincere way of entering prayer and remembering His promise.

As we hold tightly to God’s hand and are transformed by His grace, we can serve another by being the physical hand that takes hold of them. We can be the vehicle through which God spiritually takes hold and works redemptive and restorative miracles. We, the Church, are called to be God’s hands and feet in the world. By focusing on the Lord, we can live our everyday lives in community through support, assistance, and hope.

My prayer for you during this advent season is that you may be supported by the hands of a faithful God and loving community and, in turn, be empowered to be a hand reaching out to others.

Author: Sara Krusekopf, Mathematics Department, Campus Ministry Team

Comments

Popular Posts