Seeking peace in the desert

“...the word of God came to John the son of Zechariah in the desert…”

Other than spending a couple years of my childhood in Odessa, Texas, I have not spent much time in a literal desert. While I might recant that statement if I allow myself to recall too many fond memories of cacti in my front yard or tumbleweeds rolling across our neighborhood roads, I don’t think any memory of west Texas will compare to the descriptions or experiences associated with the desert that surrounded John in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caeser, when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea. Moreover, I am sure my Odessa desert holds no ground against the desert(s) of the Bible.

Deserts - in year 2018 or year 0 - are typically associated with having few resources available to fend off emaciation and dehydration. They can get extremely cold at night and scorching hot during the day. Deserts are almost entirely devoid of the resources available to sustain life. In such a desolate place, it can be challenging to find physical manifestations of God’s love. Just conduct a quick google search of "deserts" and you will see what I mean, thousands of pictures of sandy hills with nothing but sand, the sky, and a few misplaced, shriveled plants.

While I have not been to many deserts, however, I have been fortunate to spend countless hours in jungles, forests, and the like. And in these environments, it is almost like anywhere I sit I can feel tangibly God’s love present in my surroundings. From the creatures to the plants to the smell of the air... for me, in these places, finding God is easy. The Gospel reading today, however, challenges me to reach beyond what is easy. When I struggle to find God in my surroundings, when I feel caught up in a "desert moment" in my life, what do I do then? As I prayed and reflected with this reading, I found myself asking: "When was the last time I sought out silence and a place of no distraction to let God speak directly to me? And when I seek to “find God in all things,” can I also look inward and try to find God in myself and my presence in this world? 

Though the desert is often used as a representation of times of low or absent faith in God, it can also be a place where people find themselves ultimately being restored by God’s presence. Sure, in some descriptions, the spiritual desert is not a place we desire to be: it can feel like a place devoid God's presence and unconditional love. However, I challenge you to consider the desert or those "desert moments" in your life as opportunities to quiet yourself and listen for God’s voice. Personal experiences have shown me how the desert can either suck you into despair or lead you forward in the hope of the Lord. Embrace that barren place devoid of distraction - not to wither and perish but to rejuvenate and enrich the gratitude you should have for being you. 

Author: Ben Kirby, Asst. Principal for Academics

Comments

Popular Posts