The call to advocacy

On the third day of Christmas, we read about Herod ordering the murder of all the boys in Bethlehem age two and younger. At the Christmas Eve Vigil, I was explaining to my son that Jesus would be placed in the manger in the Nativity Scene to symbolize that he had arrived to save us. And now we hear about the children that were killed to protect power and ego of one man, Herod. Days after we hear about the Messiah sent to save us, we hear about people suffering as a result. Today's gospel refers back to Jeremiah with Rachel weeping for her children, inconsolable because her children were gone. The juxtaposition was startling. Angels and Magi and shepherds celebrating the birth of Jesus while parents were to simultaneously suffer the death of their children with no understanding of why. 

Yesterday while on the road to visit some old friends, my five-year-old son, who is just really getting into Star Wars, asked about why Darth Sidious was a bad guy. Darth Sidious is the evil villain, a Sith Lord who opposes the Jedi through the first 6 movies. The Sith are fueled by greed for power, fear and anger. This, to me, was a fitting description as I thought about the readings. It seems to suit Herod too. 

Today’s Gospel is bleak and sad. But, like Star Wars, only looking at one of the readings provides an incomplete picture. The first reading today says that God is light, and walking in that light means that we have fellowship with one another. If we acknowledge our sins, God is faithful to us. And then the hammer is thrown down. John says that Jesus is our advocate. 

The word advocate struck me. I speak to my students often about self-advocacy and I see their parents and their teachers advocate for them. Daily I see the power of a strong advocate. And I know that there is no advocate more powerful than Jesus and that gives me a new hope. If we are to walk in companionship with one another than we called to advocate for one another. It is not a choice; it is a directive. And if we are truly advocating for one another, then with that strength, along with the light of Jesus, we can stand against modern day Herods. 

Author: Patrick Triplett, Learning Resource Center

Comments

Popular Posts