Halfway There

Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash
Today marks the midpoint of our observance of Lent. Three weeks from tomorrow we will begin our celebration of the Easter Triduum. This may be a good time to stop and reflect on how our Lenten practices are going. Looking at them especially through the lens of the three pillars of prayer, fasting and almsgiving.

Last week I ran across a posting, maybe on Facebook, which posed the question “are you still trying to figure out what to do for Lent?” It made me stop and think. I found the question to be reassuring in that even if I hadn’t been faithful in my resolutions, I could still start anew today.

The readings today also challenge us to examine how we are carrying out God’s will in our life. Moses addresses the people and reminds them that observing the laws and statutes brings them life. In essence, Moses is really talking about a relationship. He’s talking about the relationship of individuals and Israel to the God who brought them out of slavery. A God who continues to sustain them. It is through this ongoing relationship that the people will find life.

In today’s second reading Jesus speaks of his coming to fulfill the law and the prophets of the Old Testament. Jesus is our model, he is the faithful Son of the Father. By imitating him in our daily life, we hold out for the hope that the Kingdom of God offers us in eternal life.

My prayer for today is "How can I continue to grow in my Lenten practices in preparation for Easter?"

Author: Patrick Naughton, Administration

Comments

Popular Posts