Ask and it will be given to you

Last night, I was able to spend an evening and share a meal with my daughter and some of her close friends. Maggie, my daughter, is a 22 year old woman getting ready to graduate from The University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee. I enjoyed spending time with her friends, and I loved hearing their stories. They are all strong women ready to leave their mark on the world.

As I read and reflected on today’s readings, my thoughts kept returning to Maggie and to her friends. In the first reading, the lines “God...help me, who am alone and have no help but you” reminded me of a time in my life when I was “alone.” Six years ago, my daughter was diagnosed with bone cancer. Through chemo, two surgeries, and lots of prayers, she was, after ten long months, cancer free; however, an infection caused her to have systematic organ failure. She spent the next three months in the ICU, and my wife and I watched her slowly recover. Even though we had the support of family, friends, doctors, and nurses, there were many nights where I felt alone. My prayers to God were for my daughter, and I felt his presence at the low moments. God helped me when I needed Him most.

In the gospel reading, the line that struck me was when God said, “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find.” Six years ago, I asked God to be with Maggie, and he was and is still today. Six years ago, I was seeking for answers, and I found them through God’s love for me and for my family. God has always been there for me, and I know He will always be there in the future for my family and me.

Last night, I realized that God is still helping me. My daughter has met some wonderful people at Sewanee, and they have helped her mature and grow. She is our miracle child, and she is fearless. She is not afraid of anything, and she is a child of God. Listening to her and her friends and seeing the sparkle in their eyes made me appreciate all that God has done for me and for my family. I know she is ready to face all of life’s challenges, and I hope and pray that she turns to God when she is alone and in need of His help. I hope her and her friends continue to grow their faith in God as they leave college, get married, and start families of their own. I also hope they realize that they are never alone as long as they have a strong relationship with God. I no longer worry about my daughter, and I know that God will continue to help her and to answer her prayers.

Author: Bob Wunderlick, English Department

Comments

Popular Posts