Lost and Found

The Prodigal Son Returns
The prodigal son parable always speaks to my heart. When I was a mischievous young girl and would hear this parable I would be encouraged. God isn’t looking at me as imperfect, but always waiting for me with open arms. As a parent, I always relate to the father whose son has left home and has lost his way. You have to hope the seeds of faith that were planted in your children’s lives will take root, especially in moments when they lose their way.

I can easily imagine the father is praying unceasingly for his son while he lovingly detaches from the situation. Constantly hoping, today he will return. I can also picture the father is continually watching the horizon, this is the day his son will return home. I can feel that heart ache of joyful anticipation for the return of a loved one. The emptiness you feel when you know, someone you love deeply is lost and you have no idea if they are safe or returning back to you. I imagine my mind would be spinning with worst case scenario situations.

The following verse always brings comfort to me:

“While he was still a long way off, his father caught sight of him, and was filled with compassion. He ran to his son, embraced him and kissed him.” (Luke 15:20)

As I imagine myself as part of this parable, I can feel the intense joy catching sight of my son returning home after being away and lost. I would have the same reaction, embrace him and kiss him and celebrate his homecoming. We never know the blessings in disguise hidden from our view when someone we love leaves or loses their way. The son squandering his father’s inheritance and humbling himself to return home simply to be treated as a hired worker, was what he needed to find his way back home.

It’s always a comforting reminder to me when I read this parable that our Father feels the same for each one of us when we are lost or off track. God rejoices when we find our way back to Him. I don’t always imagine being “lost” as being quite as dramatic as the son in this parable. Sometimes, we just forget to invite God into our daily life and the unraveling is slow and steady. Lent is always a season when my faith blooms and grows.

How much more would my faith grow if I was as fastidious all year long?

Author: Stephanie Nelson, Advancement

Comments

Popular Posts