If today you hear his voice

If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts. (Psalm 95)

Writing isn’t my thing. I never liked it when I went to school and I still don’t like it now. I am a visual person. I speak my thoughts through design and color. (Obviously that’s why I went to art school and why I am a Graphic Designer.) So when I was approached to participate in a blog post, I felt anxious. I also felt a little overwhelmed with quite a few projects going on at work, things to do around my house, and personal projects. I didn’t want something else to be added to my plate. I didn’t want to say yes, but I felt a voice telling me not to say no. I took a leap of faith and told Father Wally Sidney, SJ yes. The next day Gretchen Crowder sent me the email to confirm including the date I would be blogging, the instructions, and other details that I truthfully just skimmed over. I really just wanted to know what day she picked for me. I immediately saw that the day she picked for me was the day that I would be returning from a vacation. There, right in front of me was a way out. A reason to not have to write. But then while scrolling back up whole-heartedly ready to email her back and say “Sorry I can’t do it, I will be out of town.” I saw in bold italics (great use of font Gretchen) “Again, however, you can always write and submit early!” There in plain sight I see the voice speak to me again. So I told myself, just start now. Write your blog post now and it will probably make you feel better. I open the links, find the readings assigned to my day and start reading. While reading I realize, that both times when I wanted to say no to writing this blog post, God’s voice was speaking to me. God’s voice was telling me, “You can step out of your comfort zone every once in awhile. You can take a break in your busy life to do something more for your community. It will be good for you.”

As I keep reading I see the Responsorial Psalm response: “If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.” I am reminded here that even with our busy schedules and busy lives we should always have our whole heart open not only to God but to others as well. We should keep our hearts open to new things, things that make us uncomfortable. Because even though as I am typing and even while you are reading this, I am feeling anxious, I also feel some sort of comfort. Even though the feeling of being uncomfortable of my writing and my voice being shared to a big community is still on my mind, the feeling of pride is there as well and although this might not be something I do again, I am happy that I did it now. If I hadn’t listened to His voice and kept my heart open, I might not of written this post and gotten this refreshing break. So remember not just during this Lenten season to listen to His voice and keep your hearts open to God and others. You might surprise yourself with can come of it.

Author: Candice Price, Advancement Department

Comments

Popular Posts