Why do we pray?

Photo by Ben White on Unsplash
In today's Gospel reading, we are provided with two different examples of people at prayer asking for two different things. So right off the bat, there is an obvious message that asks the question – Why do we pray?

Many times, in my experience, I am asking God for a solution to my problem or a fulfillment of a need (which then spares God the burden of reading into my issues any further). Essentially I am asking God to resolve my problem with a desired end – and if that doesn’t happen, I repeat the process, as many times as I think necessary in order to change God’s mind or to talk God into what I think is best. Or, it turns into a barter attempt – “You do this for me, and I’ll do this for you.”

Obviously, we are not in the position to persuade or bribe God into what is best for us or attempt to change God’s mind or try to talk God into doing the right thing. My personal goal in recent years has been not to see God as a problem solver or to promote change, but prayer to God as a way to seek change within.

Often while I am in prayer I remind myself whom I am trying to change.

In this Gospel reading, we are asked to pray to God (no matter our character or position) with complete honesty and transparency so that we may allow ourselves to be changed.

Author: Trent Stephens, Advancement Department

Comments

Popular Posts