A break from technology

Photo by Arun Thomas from Pexels
It seems as if with all the emerging technology that I find it so difficult to stay connected. I hear the sound of a notification, and I immediately pull my phone from my pocket. Without hesitation, I mindlessly scroll through my social media feeds. With the increasing amounts of time I spend on screens passively consuming information, I sometimes find myself lost. The same technology that provides me with so much autonomy simultaneously acts like a leash, raising the question of who is in control. At times, I found that technology controlled my daily routine, which was something that I wanted to change. During this season of Lent, I made it a goal to not look at my phone until at least an hour after I woke up and to turn it off at least one hour before I wanted to go to bed. What I have ultimately discovered is that being away from my phone allowed me to become intellectually engaged with the people and issues around me.

My love for science stems from my childhood. I realize that what made the most impact was having ample opportunities to explore the biological underpinnings of natural phenomena through hands on and experiential learning. As an educator, one of the main aspects that I promote in my classroom is curiosity, a feeling that allows for the deep exploration of specific topics. Comparable to my students, my use of technology has created a habit where I merely consume the information placed in front of me. However, during this season of Lent, I have been able to cultivate knowledge in my faith by taking a break from technology. Though I am still challenged by the world exactly as is, I have been able to grow in my understanding of Scripture through intellectual curiosity.

Author: Dennis Kamara, Science Department

Comments

Popular Posts