Redemptive Love

In these last days of Jesus’ human life, we observe through him, that the path to salvation and eternal life invites us to humble ourselves, to empty ourselves, to decrease and to descend into the tomb before we are rightfully raised. Jesus emptied himself more and more until he ultimately gave us the full gift of his humanity on the cross. The way I see it, what makes Jesus’ sacrifice a true gift is that it was selfless. I can’t imagine that for this act, there are any satisfying guarantees for the human mind. And I don’t think that he was doing this for his own glory. Without diving into Christological mystery, I believe at this time he was a man with the free will to choose his end - to align himself with God’s will. I believe, that joining in our humanity, he was in love with us. I believe it was love that fueled his will, to choose the world over himself. Jesus calls us to discover this love in ourselves and for one another.

In the Gospels, we hear individuals ask something along the lines of this: “Master, how do I get to heaven?” Many times their inquiries are met with a bewildering and ultimately unsatisfying response that includes something along the lines of “deny thyself”. It’s quite easy to define our journey toward salvation as a singular and personal one that culminates in our own glory. It’s quite natural for us to prioritize our own lives and our own souls above others, in light of Jesus’ Gospel message. However, many times we hear Jesus say that our ticket to heaven involves more than just prayer and piety. And through the act of washing the feet of his disciples, Jesus reminds us in a humble, yet profound way, that our salvation requires love. This salvific love is intertwined in the lives of others.

He knew that most could not follow his path. “Where I am going, you cannot follow” is not a dis-invitation to heaven. It is the recognition that we are not ready, that we need more work. We need to love others as much, if not more, than ourselves. This is a message still terribly relevant today. In today’s gospel, Jesus points out a way to join him that is transformative and life giving. It is rooted in our humanity.

Jesus washes his companions’ feet. What an Intimate act, a humbling act. Feet: tired, sore, gnarled, broken, worn, full of mileage. They bear the weight of our life’s journey. They quietly carry an unspoken story of where our bodies and spirits have travelled. Traversing paths of joy and pain, they are a gateway to the inner depths of a person. In this moment, Jesus brings compassion and shares in each person’s vulnerability. He recognizes that to touch the aching feet is to touch the aching soul. Jesus descends to meet others in their discomfort, in their need. He models how we can do the same. And he also reminds us that as we encounter others on their path, as we serve them and wash their feet, we too are anointing them. We are choosing them and dignifying them. We must decrease if others are to increase.

As individuals we want so dearly our own reward, the reward of salvation, the reward of heaven. Peter tells Jesus, “Whatever you’re handing out, give some to me. If you’re washing feet, then wash all of me.” Today, Jesus clearly points out that our own salvation is intimately connected to how we show love for others around us, how we embrace them and lift them up. Our goal is not solely to get ourselves to heaven, but to help others get there, too. In the way I am called to participate in my own salvation, I must also participate in the salvation of others. As I approach the time of Jesus’ death and resurrection, I am moved by his sacrifice and in awe of his resurrection. But in the days that remain outside of the Easter season, my work remains. I need to ask myself: “In the manner of Christ, how is my love redeeming? How am I loving others into new life?”

Author: Patrick Parker, Theology Dept. Chair

Comments

Popular Posts