Direction without Casting Stones

For the past five years, Lent has inevitably fallen during my preparation for the spring play, the busiest time of the school year for me as one of the directors of our annual spring comedy. During a season that calls for reflection, introspection, and a simplifying of one’s life, I ironically always find myself doing the opposite. My working days are longer with more rehearsals, there’s always some task to complete, and I have less time than usual in the course of my day to pause and check in with how my Lenten “journey” is going.

All of these annual “non-Lenten” circumstances do not even take into account the job of directing, which inherently directs my view outward to my students onstage as I provide feedback, instruction, and occasionally blunt criticism of their performances. For two or three months, it is a constant exercise in even more judgement beyond my normal role as an English teacher, where I am already consistently honing in on the work of others.

As the spring play wraps up this weekend, today’s Gospel is a rather appropriate antidote for how I’ve been spending the past month. In the reading, Jesus urges restraint and mercy for a woman accused of adultery, informing the Pharisees, “Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” It is a wonderful Gospel for Lent, a season where we should refrain from judgment of others, become aware of our own vices and struggles, and focus on how we can improve ourselves.

I do not mean to say that I throw stones at my actors onstage. But I do get wrapped up in what they are doing incorrectly, line by line, reaction to reaction, so that I do not take the time to reflect on how I can improve as a director. I could be more empathetic, try to deliver direction in a more understanding way, ask them how I could be more helpful.

Perhaps this is a lesson for my (and our) larger spiritual lives. Even in the midst of times when we seem to be consumed with opportunities to look outward at others, we should heed today’s Gospel even in the mundane and everyday to take the time to focus on ourselves. This time of the year is busy, but moments of introspection and refraining from. “throwing stones” can fill in the cracks and gaps of our full schedules and hopefully grow into something that becomes inherent and spiritually beneficial.

Author: Chris Patterson, English Department

Comments

Popular Posts