For One Lost Sheep


As I go through the Alumni Service Corps program, I have become far more aware of the support Jesuit Dallas has outside of the classroom. Earlier this semester, I distinctly remember receiving an email about a student’s learning needs in the classroom and how his teachers should proceed with this student going forward. Subject line was the students name and the recipients were more than fifteen faculty members who encounter the student on a daily basis. This caught my attention and my mind started racing as to why on Earth so many faculty members were discussing the well-being of just one student…

In the Gospel reading for today, a comparatively short passage, Jesus asks his disciples whether they would be willing to search for one lost sheep and leave the other ninety-nine in the hills. This question resonates so strongly with me because logistically it seems so obvious to keep a tight hold onto what you have and abandon that which has left you. However, Jesus then offers his own perspective which illustrates a shepherd who cares so deeply about the one lost sheep that he rejoices over finding it more than the other ninety-nine. Reading this, it got me thinking back to Jesuit and this one particular email I was sent. All of this work, all of this coordination, and all for the well- being of one student among hundreds. With many students having a variety of ordeals they go through in life, seeing my fellow colleagues doing all they can for the betterment of a single student painted a beautiful picture of God’s work being fulfilled where none would ever receive credit for it.

With much going on in all of our lives, there are many instances where we encounter our own lost sheep. Seeking out friends in need, relationships that have grown distant, or siblings that we don’t connect with as much can be time consuming, resource draining, or even just difficult. But as I end this reflection, I ask you what Jesus asks his disciples at the beginning of the Gospel passage.

What is your opinion?

Author: Patrick O'Malley, Alumni Service Corps

Comments

Popular Posts