The Authority of Jesus


I recently observed a seemingly benign conversation between two dear friends. The topic was both political and moral in nature, yet, in the setting, a common position was assumed. When presented with a dissenting (and surprising) stance – by someone thought to be of like Christian mind – one friend took an approach I hope to adopt. He listened, almost literally digested words, and after a brief pause, replied, “I’m grateful that you respect our friendship enough to share your position that is in opposition to my faith.” The discussion continued, both views were honored, and I believe we all walked away with much to consider.

Today’s Gospel reminded me of that exchange:

The chief priests and elders find Jesus teaching in the temple and ask him, "By what authority are you doing these things? And who gave you this authority?" Jesus cleverly exposes them by offering another question: “When John began to baptize, was it a work of God or merely something human?” They are faced with a dilemma. To say it came from God would reveal their own unbelief and to say it came from men would pit them against the people who see John as a prophet. Imagine the fear and frustration that forced them to answer, “We do not know.”

In hindsight, for me, the fruit of my friends’ exchange had nothing to do with the topic. It forced me to consider how I would respond in defense of Jesus’ authority. Would I listen? Interrupt? Argue? Stay silent? Would I, like the priests and elders, claim ignorance?

There is much at stake. I wonder if I let the favor of humans dictate my words. I hope I avoid making decisions to preserve my position or power. I pray I recognize Jesus working in unlikely places.

What do I truly believe? Can I sincerely and honestly say that I’ve turned my life over to Jesus? What unspoken attitudes are left to be exposed in my life?

The truth is often uncomfortable. It can knock us off our feet. Advent invites us to square up on the foundation of our Christianity: Do I live as if I truly believe in the authority of Jesus?

Author: Mindy Hatzmann, Principal's Office

Comments

Popular Posts