A Moment of Reconnection

I confess that for whatever reason...distraction, sleepiness, random thoughts... I may not always be fully present to ALL parts of Sunday mass. I’m not proud of these moments, but in my limitation, God always find ways to bring me back to the present to reconnect with the important celebration taking place. 

There are moments during the liturgy that never fail to call me back to the present. 

One such moment that has been a continual source of profound grace for me comes from today’s Gospel reading. It may stand out to you because it is one of the more noteworthy changes that took place with the revised translation of the English language liturgy in 2010 (which was first rolled out during Advent 2011). Along with “and with your spirit,” a familiar place where many of us tripped up, there was another spot near the end of the Liturgy of the Eucharist, where the community was now asked to respond: “Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.”

Today’s passage from Matthew tells of a Roman centurion who asks Jesus to heal his servant. When Jesus offers to go to the house where the servant is ill, the centurion displays remarkable faith by humbly accepting Jesus’ word alone that his servant is healed. He shows his belief that the words of Jesus carry the authority of God. It is a beautiful, unexpected story of such remarkable faith. 

When I was a child, I never thought about the importance of the response prayer just before receiving the Eucharist at mass. We used to say, “Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed.” God’s gift of self in the Eucharist is a reconciliatory act, so professing our humility before this great gift prepares us for receiving him.

I did not fully realize this significance until several years after the change to the “roof” phrase when I heard the passage from Matthew again. Before being re-introduced to this Gospel passage, I didn't understand why I was praying about “my roof” and why it was imperative to add “my soul” to the prayer. The puzzle pieces did not quite come together until I heard this Gospel and was able to let my imagination take over and place me in the role of the centurion asking for healing - "Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof." I was suddenly transported into the story and found myself asking Jesus for his healing grace. It was a profound experience that left a mark, and I am reminded of it often as I pray just before we process up to receive the Eucharist.

I cannot make such moments happen; only God can. 

My prayer for everyone this Advent season is to be open to such moments of God’s healing grace.

Author: Daniel Dion, Asst. Principal of Student Affairs

Comments

Popular Posts