Embrace the Challenges

As I prayed and reflected over the scripture passage for today, where Mary visits Elizabeth, my thoughts became focused on Mary and her situation. The thought of perspective came up. She could have had the perspective of fear, anger, etc...as she was to have a child so young, with a man who is not the father of the baby (and probably still upset and not completely understanding that). It is not surprising that one of the first things she did was seek out a friend and family member “in haste” to talk to. I was struck by how Elizabeth recognized God in Mary without Mary having to say anything. It was obvious to her. I imagine this is how it should be for us as Christians. We should stir something up inside of the other humans we serve and come in contact with. Another thing that struck me was the approach that Mary and Elizabeth have with their lives and their calling. They seem genuinely happy and appreciative of God despite the incredible challenges that lay before them. That this hard work ahead of them is a gift and they are most grateful for it. This seems in line with everything else I am learning from a spiritual standpoint and a leadership standpoint and a parenting standpoint. There must be a universal truth from God that He is giving us...to see the gifts we have, even in the most challenging moments. Our approach and perspective of what lies in front of us can determine everything.

I wonder how I can distill this idea to our students and my children. How can I help them understand and practice this universal truth? That challenges in life are a gift, a blessing, a chance to grow, a chance to serve the greater good and glory of God. How can I show them how people in the past that have approached it this way benefit? How can I show them the beauty of The Holy Family’s example? Of Christ’s example?

As teachers and coaches, I think this is one of our most difficult and important aspects of our role...to help our students and players see the beauty and benefit of challenge, of struggle. The scripture today along with the rest of the Gospel stories of the Holy Family and of Jesus’s life clearly speak to this. They are about responding to God’s call, no matter the challenge, accepting the process, and having faith and trust that it will help us reach our full potential. Personally, I know how difficult it can be at times for both students and faculty to see the beauty and benefit of challenge, of struggle...especially in the competitive environment of performance, evaluation, and applying to college. As a teacher, even though I want to teach them important and difficult lessons, it is also tempting to want to alleviate their stress, to take away the challenge, the struggle, the suffering. It can be heart-breaking, i

t can get messy, and it is not always clear on what the best response or action should be. But when I stop and think, I realize the gift I have of working through this with colleagues I genuinely respect and call friends. Colleagues who help and support each other with helping students to learn to embrace the struggles, the challenges, the failures, and to grow from them. Mary and Joseph did not work so tirelessly to raise Jesus because of what He had accomplished, but because of what they believed He would accomplish...so it is with our students. Re-reading the gospel passages of The Holy Family, their response to God’s call and care for the Baby Jesus, reminded me that the work we do with our students, is not because of what they have accomplished, but of the hope of what they will become.

Author: Todd Gruninger, Science Dept. Chair

Comments

Popular Posts