Filled With Gratitude on Christmas

Several years ago I came home and as I walked into the kitchen the first words out of my mouth were “girls!” Both of my daughters were in the living room watching television. My daughters both chastised me, asking why the first words out of my mouth had to be critical sounding. What I was reflecting in my tone was that it was raining from the ceiling and no one apparently had noticed. It just so happened that one of the water supply lines in the upstairs bath had broken. So I felt justified using a particularly critical tone of voice, but after all was cleaned up and repaired it got me thinking. I had to ask myself the question, "Do I perhaps too often look at the world with a too critical eye?"

One of my favorite Christmas movies is the musical White Christmas. One particular song is about counting one’s blessings. The song’s lyrics are a good reminder for me to be cognizant of the way I look at the world. As part of my daily prayer, I ask God to help me count my blessings each day. I ask for the grace to not be so focused on the negative, but to instead let the splendor of God’s creation surround and influence me, attitude and all.

As we celebrate the birth of the Christ Child today, how can we be anything but filled with gratitude to a God that would send his son Jesus to be with us? Filled with hope at the gifts of peace and love that the child brings us? And mindful of all the blessings we receive from a generous and loving God?

Merry Christmas! 

Author: Mike Earsing, President

Comments

Popular Posts