God Rescues Us

“…he rescues the needy who call to him….” - Psalm 72

When I read Psalm 72, this line stood out and made me reflect on my life. Who are the “needy”? How does God “rescue” them? I believe we are all the “needy” at one time or another. The needy are those who have lost their faith and those whose faith has been affected by events in their lives, events that have pulled them away from God. For me personally, there have been times when my relationship with God, my faith, has been tested. There have been times when I was angry with God, times when I was not sure God was listening to me. A wise, old priest told me once that my relationship with God was strongest when I needed Him most. He told me it was ok to be angry with God. He said that all “real” relationships are like this. I truly believe that God was indeed there when I needed him most, and I know he “rescued” me. How does God “rescue” us? He loves us, unconditionally. Knowing this warms my heart.

“Blessed are the eyes that see what you see, for I tell you that many prophets and kings wanted to see what you see, and never saw it; to hear what you hear, and never heard it.” - Luke 10

In Luke’s Gospel, Jesus speaks to his followers, and he tells them that they are “blessed” because they believe in Him. They “see” and “hear” his actions and words, and they are his disciples. We are Jesus’ disciples if we love Him, if we believe in Him, and if we follow Him. We are indeed “blessed” if our faith in God is strong. It is not easy, but that is true with all relationships that are worthwhile. 

When I speak with Jesuit students on retreat, I encourage them to develop their relationship with God, to never lose their faith. I tell them that there will come a time when they need God. Having a strong faith and a strong relationship with God makes these difficult times easier. It is during these trying times when God will “rescue” them.

I spent Thanksgiving Day with some of my family. Before we ate, we sang a song that we traditionally do when we gather together. The song, and the words, mean so much to me: “God is Love, and he who abides in Love, abides in God, and God in him.” God is Love, and he truly does rescue the needy and bless all of us who share this love in and with Him and in and with one another. God bless.

Author: Bob Wunderlick '84, English Department

Comments

Popular Posts