Friends Gather No Dust

The great Jesse Owens said: “Friendships born on the field of athletic strife are the real gold of competition. Awards become corroded; friends gather no dust.”

Perhaps a strange quote to begin my reflection on today’s reading. I have lived over 70 years and have had a very blessed life. I have been most fortunate to win and acquire many trophies and awards. Yet as I sit here, I have no idea where most of them are. Lost and covered in dust would be my guess. In this first reading, Isaiah 26: 1-6, we see God had set in place the plan of salvation. A great city for those that are just, faithful and trust in the Lord. The Lord will humble those in high places and the needy and the poor will trample into dust lofty cities.

As I contemplate this first reading along with the readings from Psalms and Matthew, I am moved to work harder to “forge” my friendship with Christ, to deepen my faith, to grow in love and knowledge of the Lord. I want to build my house on Christ the solid rock. The rock that leads to salvation, stands forever and gathers no dust. But this friendship will not come easy. The trials, tribulations and temptations of life will be difficult to overcome. But as I grow closer to the Lord, keeping his commandments, seeking him while he may be found, God will grow closer to me. “Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.” What blessed peace we can have by pursuing and trusting in the Lord.

So, while I am able, I will seek the Lord before all that I am and all that I have turns to dust.

Author: Charlie DeLong, Athletic Department

Comments

Popular Posts