The Paradoxical Prescriptions of Lent

I recently learned that someone close to me has cancer in an advanced state. I do not know the prognosis yet, but this news is somewhat shocking and has given rise to quite a bit of emotional turmoil. In speaking with my sister, who works in health care, about all the emotions I have been dealing with, she noted that I had described all the stages of grief to her in a couple of sentences. She said that I will see all these emotions cycle through—denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance—again and again through this process. It is in the context of this news and these cycles of emotion that I come to today’s Gospel, particularly one line: “Can the wedding guests mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them?”

Because of the sad news of this diagnosis, this Lenten season is looking to be quite distinct from those before to me. The Catholic tradition never fails to confront me with paradoxical prescriptions. On the one hand, I am called to spiritual practices of self-denial to remind myself of my sin and of the great sacrifice Jesus has made for us in his passion and death. On the other hand, we read that Jesus tells his disciples that they do not fast like the Pharisees because Jesus, “the bridegroom,” is present with them. One way to interpret that is that I should celebrate Jesus’ presence in my life, rather than fast and be mournful.

These paradoxical prescriptions play in interesting ways in my heart. I am already sad, grief-stricken, and mournful because I fear for this person in my life and worry about their health. However, this person is still present in my life and still has treatment options. The grace I pray for is that I can read Jesus’ words as if he were speaking to me: “Can the wedding guests mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them?” One of the great attributes of the Christian Gospel is that in the midst of terrible news of death and pain, grace, joy, and love can still abound.

Author: Daniel Dion, Asst. Principal of Student Affairs

Comments

Popular Posts