We are Fathers


Today's passage from Isaiah, in my opinion, is God asking us to open our eyes to those around us.

"Learn to do right; seek justice.
Defend the oppressed.
Take up the cause of the fatherless;
plead the case of the widow." (Isaiah 1:17)

This passage makes me reflect some on my character as a man and father. What do we do when nobody’s watching? Do we treat the less fortunate with love and dignity who can do nothing for us? Am I the type of man I want my son to be? Are you? Do we turn our cheek to the oppressed, widow, or fatherless child?

As an Ignatian Educator I believe every day we have choice to serve others in the Dallas Community. As a Texas High School Head Football Coach over the 9 last years I’ve learned you wear many hats in this role. The role is about more than just being a football coach. The role is being a father, counselor, teacher, mentor, disciplinarian, leader, motivator, to kids and parents.


Isaiah 1:17 says: “Take up the cause of the fatherless” - these words grabbed my attention and made me reflect. How does this scripture pertain to our lives as fathers or to those without fathers? I’ve coached and taught more than 20 years kids ranging from all ages and backgrounds. I’ve also been a dad for 18 years and learned some valuable lessons as a father - lessons that were both good and challenging.

Some kids I’ve coached over the years were fatherless, dads weren’t involved, or dads needed help from the coach to talk to their son instead of doing it themselves. "Father all kids like they are your own" keeps ringing in my head. I believe you treat kids as your own sons. I think God wants us to treat every child like our own showing both love and discipline. Through my experience over the years, most teenage boys want a sense of belonging and attention from someone they respect and look up to. As I read this passage, I heard God saying that it’s our responsibility to carry the torch and be fathers to all. 

I’ve never thought of this profession as a job more like a calling. We are working hard to raise great young men together at Jesuit that we call our own sons. I’m thankful for the opportunity to do that every day.

Author: Brandon Hickman, Head Football Coach

Comments

Popular Posts