Remember the Marvels the Lord has Done

Alexander McQueen Duncan - Notre Dame
Herbert Read, an English art historian reminds us: “Works of art must persist as objects of contemplation.”

As an art lover and former art teacher, both the creation of art and the time spent immersed in viewing a work of art are important components of my spiritual life. Last week I had the privilege of spending some time with Gib Singleton’s bowed cross and Alexander McQueen Duncan’s painting of Notre Dame at the Museum of Biblical Art.

Gib Singleton’s work at the Museum of Biblical art is worth the trip. The expression Singleton creates in his sculptures allows the viewer to feel the emotions of the figures. I first saw his stations of the cross in New Mexico and they had such an emotional impact on me that I have been drawn to his work since. In looking at the Bowed Cross I kept going back to two areas, the facial expressions, which depict pain and exhaustion, and the massive nails driven through Jesus’ hands and feet. Singleton’s sculpture gave me the opportunity to pause and think about the “sacred practice of penance,” referenced in today’s collect. Penance helps us remember the path Jesus walked for us and leads us “in sincerity of heart to attain the holy things to come.” The nails, depicted in the sculpture, driven through Jesus’ hands and feet are a strong visual reminder of this penance.
Gib Singleton's Bowed Cross


Sitting in front of McQueen’s massive painting I felt as if I was sitting alone in the empty Cathedral of Notre Dame. The gravity of my surroundings was overwhelming, and the peace that overcame me palpable. Sitting alone, taking in the magnificence of the cathedral made me think of how our practices of fasting and abstinence are simply opportunities to pause and “remember the marvels the Lord has done,” as we are called to do in today’s responsorial psalm. Lenten sacrifices are wonderful opportunities to pause and marvel over the presence of God in my life.

Author: Molly O'Sullivan, Asst. Principal of Academics

Comments

Popular Posts