Perspectives

Like many people, I no longer make a New Year’s resolution. Instead, I adopt a ‘word of the year’. A word providing direction, inspiration, focus… a word carrying responsibility for my forward movement to Christ. At the end of last year, my prayers were to ‘see’, to recognize, to be available, to put others first. My thoughts ran… If others are 1st, then, it’s not about me… If it’s not about me, then it’s always about someone else… If it’s about someone else... I must see their perspective.

Yay!! There it was. Perspective! Coupled with the year 2020 and perfect vision being 20/20, ‘Perspective’ would be my guiding word for the year. Quickly, the new year rolled into Lent and a more focused direction for the word perspective. My thoughts ran again…. If it’s always another’s perspective and it’s not about me, then,... there’s no ‘I’ in Lent. This meant 40 days of perspectives. Seeing every hardship, sorrow, joy and fear through the lens of others, especially Jesus and each of the disciples during Holy Week.

It also meant the perspectives of those in our daily readings. Which brings us to the story of Naaman, a high-ranking, military commander serving the King of Syria, (an empire against Israel). He served his King faithfully, led many battles to great victories, and had the trust and respect of those who followed him. In his world, he had it all… including leprosy!

By the end of the reading, the perspective of Naaman seems obvious at first glance. A leper, servant against Israel is healed by a man following the one, true God. He becomes a part of Israel, (in mind, body and spirit). Same Old Testament story, different chapter, right?

As the saying goes, ‘hind-sight is 20/20’, so the perspectives I’ve drawn are in retrospect of how Naaman sees himself and how he sees God. Although prayerful, Naaman wasn’t seeking a relationship with God. He was seeking to please his King, to gain military victories and higher rank. Naaman had the high-regard of others, victories in battles, the cup-bearer position with the King, trustful servants, and a kidnapped-servant girl who knew of a healer. Naaman didn’t see that he had nothing to do with any of it. Once he was cured of leprosy, Naaman saw that God had everything to do with ALL of it. No matter what Naaman did, God did not give up on him. God continued to pursue him. God stayed with him. God wanted Naaman’s heart and wanted a relationship with him. It’s the same with us. He wants to be in a relationship with each and every one of us. Naaman also realized that while God was pursuing him, God was also waiting for him; waiting for Naaman to see Him. This waiting is part of our Lenten journey. During Lent, we are called to “wait well”. Jesus asked the disciples to wait with him. To “wait well” is to be awake, vigilant, alert, to prepare for what’s to come, to stay focused. Who better than God to teach Naaman (and us) how to do this?

As I do my best to “wait well” during this season of Lent, I’ve drawn parallels from this past week’s events of uncertainties, unknowns, and fears to those of the disciples during Holy Week. My perspective sees the “waiting well” of our administration this past week. I’m so grateful to have seen it. It’s the perspective that whatever uncertainties come, God is here, ever present and ever calling us into relationship with Him.

Author: Claire Moore, Community Service

Comments

Popular Posts