Faith in Uncertain Times

The Gospel Reading from yesterday really struck me. And so, I chose to reflect on that one today. It is one, in my opinion, that tells us a lot about the person of Jesus...one that shows both His humanity and His divinity. I see this in His very Human response to hearing about His friend’s Lazarus death...the scripture’s descriptive language of Jesus being “perturbed,” “deeply troubled,” “Jesus wept,” are all examples that speak to me of His humanness. The divinity is obviously seen in Jesus raising His friend from the dead.

Personally, this is also a scripture that each time I read it, somehow seems to relate to whatever situation I find myself in at the time. Currently, we are all quarantined to our homes, not able to interact and be with the ones we love in our extended families, friends, and others in our community. For me, I am worried for some individuals who are sick or more vulnerable in my own extended community of family and friends that I cannot simply go to and help or be with. Many of us are in this situation with the unknown of how the effects of the coronavirus will ultimately affect our families, friends, and communities.

This scripture passage also brings us to the very human experience of people faced with uncertainty and fear of death and Jesus gives us a clear example of how to respond to this very real human experience. First, it can be seen in His response to his disciples’ fear of going back to Judea because Jesus may be stoned...Jesus’ responds basically by saying that danger and uncertainty cannot be the deciding factors in carrying out His mission. This speaks to me during this time and how I chose to serve that mission, how I take care of those around me, how I purchase, how I donate, how I practice social distancing, etc and do my part in a way that serves and protects my communities. Second, through His conversations with Lazarus’s sisters Jesus seems to be reminding us that everlasting life is something that Jesus is offering to us now in the present, not just something that will happen in the future when we die. Now, in this uncertain time, it has been beneficial and comforting to me to be reminded of this teaching. More specifically, Martha’s and Mary’s faith in Jesus and Jesus’s raising of Lazarus remind me to put my faith in Jesus and the mission, especially as I worry about, pray for, and struggle for the best way to help my friends and family who are most affected by this current pandemic.

Author: Todd Gruninger '98, Science Department Chair

Comments

Popular Posts