Connection

Yesterday's responsorial psalm included the response “O Lord, hear my prayer, and let my cry come to you.” It got me thinking about connection. Particularly, the connection that we as a human family often seek to experience with each other, which in many cases is a way for us to experience the love of God.

For me, this can look different than it does for many of my friends. I am a self described introvert, something that many people don’t quite understand. I don’t like crowds, but not because I don’t like people. I am quite happy to spend time with close friends or family. I genuinely enjoy collaborating with colleagues at work. For me, being an introvert means that I need (I am using that word deliberately) a little bit of time to myself each day in order to be my best self. Even 15-20 minutes is usually enough to sustain me through the day. A run outside, 20 minutes spent reading a book, some quiet meditation or prayer- any of these things are fulfilling for me in a way that makes me (in my opinion) a better version of myself for the rest of the day.

Introversion has been a feature of my spirituality as well. I prefer personal prayer or small group discussions to large worship services (which isn’t to say that I don’t find value in both- I certainly do). I find journaling easy and worthwhile. The spiritual exercises of St. Ignatius have always been activities I have cherished. Whenever I am asked where I find God, most of the time, my inclination is to think about isolated experiences or activities with a small group of family or friends.

All of this means that, for me, social isolation has been easier for me than it probably has been for most. I’ve been put in a situation where my introversion is considered a positive. For the last three weeks, I have been told that my desire to be away from crowded places is potentially saving lives. What more might an introvert want?! And yet, the cost is quite obviously too high. I don’t want to be afraid that grocery shopping could be hazardous to my health or to the health of others. I don’t want to have to think about the ethical conundrum posed by potentially getting a meal delivered. I am saddened to be away from my students and colleagues at work. I am anxious for my friends (and even for people I don’t know) who are worried about their job status in the coming weeks and months.

When perusing the internet for some e-learning tips last week, I stumbled across a meme that said something to the effect of “Introverts: put down your books for 5 minutes- your extroverted friends are having a tough time right now!” It was a simple reminder that while I can find God in a long walk outside, or in the additional time I am getting to spend with my wife and with my daughter, not everyone is having an easy time coping with being away from social interaction. Perhaps I might spend the rest of this Lenten season (and maybe beyond) making an effort to reach out to friends and family to make sure that they are OK. It is one thing for me to feel empathy and another to express that to my friends.

So I will be spending the next couple of weeks (or more) eating dinner over face time, group chatting, phone calling, social distance walking, etc. We all- even us introverts- could use some connection right now.

Author: Jonathan Segal, Theology Department

Comments

Popular Posts