The Night of Lent

We have entered Holy Week and it is definitely one for us to recall for a long time to come. For me, over the last several years, this most wonderful week of the year has been one of busyness and go-go-go. Today would have been the Chrism Mass and then we would have begun our preparations for the Sacred Triduum, leading to the Great Vigil and then Easter Sunday, next week. Now, we will still celebrate the Triduum starting on Holy Thursday, but this year it will be done via livestreaming for the all the people of God.

When I began to pray and reflect upon today’s scripture (at the beginning of Lent); there were many directions my heart was leading me to go. Isn’t this the way for so many of us? A variety of directions and many choices, which can lead us in so many ways that we are not certain the best path. We are afforded so many options in our world, none of them (at least in my case) am I willing to embrace wholeheartedly. Better yet, isn’t this the way for many of us, at least before we were entered much more deeply into our Lenten sacrifice this year. More deeply into our current reality.

Over the last many weeks, we have come to experience our worlds quite differently. I have heard “social distancing” and the “e” word more than I thought I ever would. Thankfully, we are in a time where we can still connect with others. We have been able to pray with others all over the world. We have prayed, via livestream, the Rosary with Pope Francis. We may have experienced more care and compassion from others.

On March 20th, Pope Francis in his Decree of the Apostolic Penitentiary stated, “’Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer’(Rom 12:12). The words written by Saint Paul to the Church of Rome resonate throughout the entire history of the Church and guide the judgment of the faithful in the face of all suffering, sickness and calamity.”

In the Gospel, we hear that Jesus was troubled because he knew his passion; his time to redeem us all was coming soon. The savior for all humanity knew he would be betrayed and then handed over to the authorities. Jesus sent Judas out “and it was night”(Jn 13:30b). This line really stand out and resonates with me. Notice it says “it was”, not it is or anything to that effect. Here we have Jesus “the light of the world” preparing to enter into the darkness of our humanity.

Perhaps, many of us were going in so many directions it was necessary to enter the night of this Lent for us to reevaluate our priorities. I have spent more family time than I had for quite some time. I have been more patient and understanding than I had been. I have been a better me, and this better me, is one that I truly like. I can get on board with this me.

I find solace in Isaiah’s words today, during this, our dark time that is leading us to our Calvary. In Isaiah we hear, “Though I thought I had toiled in vain, and for nothing, uselessly, spent my strength, yet my reward is with the LORD, my recompense is with my God” (Is 49:4). As we experience our Holy Week and are being led to our Easter in this time, and in this place. Let us remember, St. John Paul II reminded us, “we are an Easter people and alleluia is our song.” My prayer for each of us is that we are able to embrace one another and know God is guiding us and he is a merciful and loving God who is calling each of us home. 

Author: Chris Knight, English Department

Comments

Popular Posts