#rainbowhunt

The first time I read the daily reading for today to start my blog post was March 25th. I had been working from home for about 7 days, but had been staying at home for 9. I was looking for some direction, not sure what kind of direction, but something to help my mental state. In all honesty I am a person who likes to feel like I am in control. I don’t need to feel in total control, but enough control of myself and some of my surroundings. And let’s be real, right at this moment very few of us are in control.

However that day the gospel of the Lord’s Supper where Jesus washes the feet of the disciples gave me the direction I needed. When Jesus washed the feet of the disciples, he knew that his hour had come, but even then he still did something for others rather than something for himself. And he said to the disciples “If I, therefore, the master and teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash one another’s feet.” The moment I read that I felt a sense of tranquility. I told myself I needed to let go of what I can’t control, fill my time with things I could control and help others just as Jesus did by washing the feet of his disciples.

My mind started turning, trying to figure out what things I could do to help others while still following social distancing guidelines. At the time I saw a trend on social media, #rainbowhunt. It seemed that many families and friends around the world were adding rainbows to their windows and sidewalks to help uplift their neighbors’ spirits and spread some joy and hope around. This trend hadn’t caught on around my neighborhood yet, but I thought this is something small I can do to help spread some joy and hope to the people around me. So I added rainbows to my screen front door. Since that day on my daily walks, I have seen many more rainbows on windows, sidewalks, doors, and cars. That small act of kindness blossomed into something bigger and added positivity to many peoples’ lives including my own. I didn’t want to stop there either. When I mowed my yard, I asked my neighbors if I could help out and mow theirs as well. When I picked weeds in my yard, I picked a few from my neighbors yard. It all doesn't sound like much, but in the end I know my small act of kindness does mean something for them and could maybe blossom into something bigger.

I encourage everyone not only during this Lenten season, but during this unknown time in our lives to remember the story of Jesus washing the feet of the disciples and how even a small act of kindness can brighten someone’s day.

Author: Candice Price, Advancement

Comments

Popular Posts