Living on Bread Alone

Today’s verse before the Gospel and Gospel resonate with me about the need for spiritual nourishment and specifically through union and forgiveness within our communities. The verse before the Gospel reads “one does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes forth from the mouth of God.” The Gospel then shares the story of Jesus saying the Our Father prayer with the disciples. Jesus emphasizes the part of the prayer regarding forgiveness and especially for those that transgress against them.

At the time of writing my reflection, this concept of spiritual nourishment resonated with me even though it may seem in stark contrast to the physical necessities and sustenance that so many are lacking currently in Texas because of the winter storms. The Gospel and verse, to me, define these as two parts of a whole. Both physical and spiritual nourishment are needed, and we cannot live fully without one or the other.

This week I have seen and read wonderful examples of individuals and communities locally and throughout the country helping our state in these trying times. I have also read opinion pieces that describe the author’s schadenfreude for what the state of Texas is experiencing. It is trying for me to read these opinions and statements and not focus on the anger and frustration I feel for these individuals who derive joy from the suffering in Texas. Ultimately, these feelings of anger and frustration are exactly what the Gospel reading and the message Jesus gave to his disciples are highlighting.

True spiritual nourishment is being able to be forgiving even to those that take joy in our pain. This ability to forgive in these circumstances is an area where I lack and can improve, which I believe is why this Gospel resonated with me in this way. As I think back to the positive stories that have come from this past week, I am confident that not everyone who was helping their neighbor has the same beliefs or political values as the person they were helping. This real example of unity and support within a community speaks to the lesson described in the Gospel. Our communities and country can only get stronger and more caring for one another if we approach these circumstances with an eye for forgiveness and individually, we will be nourished spiritually since we cannot “live on bread alone.”

Author: Alex Soich, CFO

Comments

Popular Posts