Sometimes we hand them a stone by accident...

“Which one of you would hand his son a stone
when he asked for a loaf of bread,
or a snake when he asked for a fish?
If you then, who are wicked,
know how to give good gifts to your children,
how much more will your heavenly Father give good things to those who ask him.” (Mt 7: 9-11)

This part of the gospel jumped out at me based off of something I always struggle with, patience. Specifically, letting logic and teaching guide my reactions instead of emotions. This happens mainly with my children but it certainly carries over to the basketball teams as well. My breaking point is not where I want it to be, and I doubt it ever will be. I am very passionate and eventually emotion comes into play (through enthusiasm and frustration.)

This conversation took place recently when we were having a family discussion about lent:

Bo (5): “Dad what is your lent?”
Dad (Me- 42): “I am going to give up sweets and work real hard on being more patient.”
Joe (5) : “How do you do patient?”
Before I could answer….
Addie (7): “You could try not to yell.”

After yelling at her for interrupting me, I agreed. Ok, I didn’t really yell at her there, but I do lose my patience and yell from time to time. Judge me freely, I own it.

But the line:

“If you then, who are wicked,
know how to give good gifts to your children." (Mt 7:11)

I have two 5 year olds and a 7 year old. Sometimes, despite my best efforts and sincere intentions, my example and actions are wicked. The old saying that actions speak louder than words is never more true than when you are trying to raise kids who don’t understand all of English yet (the part of the story I didn’t share was the agreeing nods from the boys with the idea of me not yelling).

Sometimes I raise my voice (that’s how it feels to me more than yelling) and the problem is fixed. I feel good that I fixed the problem. Then, often, when I am sitting at the dinner table, I learn that the problem is not fixed after all. The only thing that was learned in fact was: “this might make Dad mad.” Being shown that your kids are doing things out of fear of your reaction as opposed to learning to do the right thing is a pretty humbling moment. “The one who seeks, finds.” I am seeking help in how to be better, and I got great advice directly from the source the other night at dinner.

I believe being made aware of our faults and where we might be coming up short, especially where we don’t realize it, is a blessing. 

 It’s hard to improve things you don’t know are broken.

So I will move forward with this information and will try my best to be a little less wicked!

Author: Chris Hill, Athletics Department

Comments

Popular Posts