And if not, He is still good.

“Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego answered and said to the king, “O Nebuchadnezzar, we have no need to answer you in this matter. If this be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of your hand, O king. 18 But if not, be it known to you, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up.
” (Daniel 3:16-18 ESV)

Our story begins with King Nebuchadnezzar, an unbeliever and prideful man. He decrees that everyone worship the idols that he has created and expects his people to do exactly as he says. What we see are three men, appointed by Daniel, the king’s most trusted advisor, blatantly disobeying what is being asked of them. They are brought before the king and given one free pass, but that they better worship on their knees at the next trumpet sound or off to the fiery furnace they will go. They tell the king that the God they serve can deliver them from the fire if He wants to and they will never worship the king’s idols…straight into the fire they go. Spoiler: they walk out alive.

This story resonates so deeply with me, probably even more so in times of trial. The men are telling the king that God is good enough and strong enough and big enough and gracious enough to save them from the fire if he wants to, but if not, he is still good and strong and big and gracious and kind. He didn’t leave them to face this on their own. They were proclaiming the truth that God’s character is not changed by a situation, trial, or circumstance. God’s goodness is not dependent on the hard things I have to go through. He is good and faithful and kind in death, in disappointment, in having things taken away from us. He is good in struggles that we wish we never have to go through. He is good and kind, not because I deserve or earn it, but because God can be nothing other than good and kind.

James talks about what it looks like to live out our faith. That we are supposed to be joyful when we encounter trials, that this produces steadfast faith in God. I am often reminded how small and incapable I am at doing things on my own; That without the Lord guiding my steps I am unable to do anything. If Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego had thought they could survive the flames on their own, they would have burned up like the guards that threw them into the fire. The unwavering faith that The Lord could save them if He wanted to, was enough for them. His power is truly made perfect and evident in our weakness. The trials of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego proved to be evidence of God’s goodness to not only the king, but all of his people. The part about this story that really gets me is that the men went into the fire knowing that they might not walk out. They knew God’s goodness and faithfulness, whether He saved them or not. They knew that God’s purpose would be fulfilled whether or not they were saved. God is good because He is good, not because my situation says he is good.

How can I look at my life and my situation and say, if not, he is still good? If I never get married, God is still good. If my family gets COVID, He is still good. If I am anxious, stressed, or depressed, God is still good. If my family member dies too young, He is still good. He is so good and so loving; He sent His only son to die on a cross and take the full wrath of God for me and for you. He is so good that he offers me grace and mercy that is new every morning. He is so good that instead of making me work to be good an earn salvation, He gives it freely so I (and you!!) can spend eternity in heaven with Him. I am choosing to put my trust and faith in Jesus, knowing He is where the joy is.

Author: Bailey Clark, Science Department

(image cred: photo by Jonny Swales on Unsplash)

Comments

Popular Posts